fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- dollars (usd150) or n27,000= we accept payment by paypal,(firstname.lastname@example.org) / abayomi ibiyemi - visa account no.4990006313, or pay to (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Yommy" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:44:34 +0100
Subject: DOWNLOAD SPSS e-BOOKS NOW!!!! lcl
DOWNLOAD SPSS e-BOOKS NOW!!!!
Merits of the books
These books are user-oriented books on SPSS (Statistical Packages for Social Sciences):
They use a series of pictures and simple instructions to teach each procedure for data analyses.
Users can conduct procedures by following the graphically illustrated examples.
The books are designed for the novice - even those who are inexperienced with SPSS, statistics, or
computers. They can be used by those in varied fields, such as market research, criminology, public policy,
management, business administration, nursing, medicine, psychology, sociology,
anthropology, and so on.
Each method is taught in a step-by-step manner.
Analytical threads are followed throughout the books - the goal of this method is to
show users how to combine different procedures to maximize the benefits of using
Users may find that the books generally contain most of
the statistics concepts they will need to use.
1. SPSS for Beginners
2. SPSS for Introductory Statistics
3. A Handbook for Statistical Analyses Using SPSS
4. Applied Statistics Using SPSS,STATISTICA, and MATHLAB
5. Doing Quantitative Research in Education with SPSS
6. Computer-Aided Data Analyses
7. SPSS 17.0 Statistics SOFTWARE (Original Full Version)
8. SPSS book for Dummies
9. SPSS 17.0 Brief Guide
10. SPSS Statistics Base 17.0 Users' Guide
11. Statistical Methods using SPSS
12. Data Analyses and Research Methods
13. SPSS 17.0 Neural Network
14. SPSS 17.0 Decision Trees
15. SPSS 17.0 Forecasting
16. SPSS 17.0 Regression
17. SPSS 17.0 Exact Tests
18. SPSS 17.0 Missing Values
19. SPSS 17.0 Conjoint
NOTES: ITEMS ARE DELIVERED IMMEDIATELY ON PAYMENT
Pricing details for the Package (1-19) is in US Dollars (USD150) or N27,000=
We accept payment by Paypal,(email@example.com) / Abayomi Ibiyemi - Visa Account No.4990006313, or
pay to Abayomi Ibiyemi @ GTB A/C No. 0017611164
For Further Inquiries about Table of Contents and Mode of Payment for any of the above items,
Mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
23 Road, R Close, Festac Town,
Tel - 234 806 489 1087
Non Opt-in Clause: We did not seek your consent to have this mail sent to you.
To unsubscribe, mail "Unsubscribe" to email@example.com