fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Alex Koffi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 23:30:03 +0000
Subject: From Alex Koffi.
From Alex Koffi.Abidjan Cote D'Ivoire inWest Africa.
Good day and how are you?Please i will like you to read this message with good attension and more consideration in order to understand the content very well.First, i will like to detail you little about my self. i am Alex Koffi from Cote D'Ivoire i am a boy of 20 years old, My mother and my junior once has died while my late father too me to Bouake here in Cote D'Ivoire due to his Cocoa merchant business.
A group of rebel men killed my father at Bouake forest where he is negociating Cocoa business with few village men after the death of my father, i have to leave bouake and come over to Abidjan the economic capital of Cote D'Ivoire. this is where i am right now even during this recent war that just stopped since few months now. i hope you heard about the war of Cote D'Ivoire which the former president Laurence Gbagbo was captured by a group of rebel that has been defending and protecting the election winning candidate president Allasane Draman Quattara.
I want to relocate to another country because there is no more good securities. no more good universities and investment opportunities anymore in this Cote D'Ivoire since the rebel, political and civil war ended.
My reasons for contacting are listed below :1. I want you to assist me transfer and invest the sum of Ten Million US Dollars ($10,000,000,00) which i inherited from my late father before he died.2. i want you to assist me get university admission as soon as i arrive in your country after the end of the transfer of the money3. i want you be my guardian hence my father is dead.4. i want you to assist me get a good accommodation in your country where i will stay if i come there.
For assisting me, i will offer you 15% from the total fund after the transfer and 5% for any expenses which will be made towards the transfer, a total of 20% percent will giving to you after the transfer.
Please i will like you to reply me back immediately you received this mail through this my private email address (email@example.com) so that i will detail you the next step to follow.