fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: jonah paul <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:03:14 +0000
Good Day to you,
I am Mr.Jonah Paul, Chief Operating Officer with my Bank, This letter must come to you as a big surprise, but only a day people meet and become friends and business partners.
An Iraqi Foreign Oil consultant/contractor Mr.Thomas Stone made a fixed deposit with our bank in 2003, valued at US$16.500,000.00.million.
He was among the dead victims of island of Java magnitude 6.2 earthquake, Indonesia, just outside the city of Bantul. on May 27, 2006.
Mr.Thomas stone did not mention any Next of Kin/Heir when the account was opened, and am his account officer/adviser,uptill now our bank did not know about Mr.Thomas Stone death, and if they happen to know, my Bank Directors will take the funds for their personal use.I will like you to know also that this deal is for those that have foresights and initiatives.
I am now seeking your co-operation to present you as Next of Kin to the account and my bank headquarters will release the money to you under a legitimate arrangement. so I am suggesting we share the fund, 40% for you while 60% of the fund will remain for me after successful transfer of the fund to your position until I join you there, why i want to do this deal is because in 4 months time i will resign from the Bank and start up my own company.
If you are interested to work with me with all sincerity, kindly send to me the following details;
(1) Your direct mobile/fax number...........
(2) Your full names and country resident address...........
(3) Your private E-mail box............
(4) Your Age..............
(5) Your Occupation.............
(6) Your nationality.............
As soon as i receive your response with the following information, i will then send you form to fill and send to the Bank legal department for the release of the money to your nominated account without wasting any time.
I will be waiting for your response .