fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- details. head of secretariat office email: email@example.com the workshop welcomes paper presentation from any interested (Aol; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "HUMAN RIGHT & GLOBAL PEACE" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 01:34:31 +0100
Subject: GLOBAL CONGRESS INVITATION .....
We are extending an invitation to you to participate in the upcoming
international global congress meeting on Human Right, Economic Crisis and
Force Labor. The international conference is scheduled to take place from
4th to 6th June 2012 here in Florida United States of America and from 8th
to 13th June 2012 in Madrid Spain.
The workshop will contain various discussions related to the issues on the
Important of Human Right, cause of Economic Crisis and effect of Force
Labor. For registration guidance, do contact the conference secretary for
Head of Secretariat Office
The Workshop welcomes paper presentation from any interested participants.
Do contact the conference secretary for guidance regarding registration.
Ms. Laura Samuel.