fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Barrister Wacfeld Mabsant." (may be fake)
Reply-To: <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:07:23 -0700
Subject: Kindly Read/Reply.........

>From Desk of Barrister Wacfeld Mabsant.
65 Lapaz Road, Zuma Plaza, First Floor
Suite 9,Accra-Ghana.
Telephone:            +233249301160
Dear Friend,
Compliments!. Firstly, I must solicit your confidence in this transaction; this is by virtue of its nature as being utterly confidential and top secret. Though I know that a transaction of this magnitude will make anyone apprehensive and worried, but I am assuring you that all will be well.
Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Barrister Wacfeld Mabsant, a personal attorney to Late Mrs. Cari Collins, herein referred to as my late client. This email might come as a surprise to you, since there was no previous correspondence between us. My purpose of contacting you is for you to help secure the funds left behind by my late client, to avoid it being confiscated or declared unserviceable by the Bank in Ghana where this fund valued ?6,100,000.00 (Six Million One hundred thousand Euro) was deposited by my client before her death.
The Bank has issued me a notice to contact the next of kin or the account will be declared unserviceable and the fund diverted to the Bank treasury, So far all my efforts to get hold of someone related to her has proved abortive. Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for some years now, I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin to the deceased.
I shall provide all the documents to back up the claim as my client's Next of Kin. All I require is your honest,full cooperation and commitments to enable us achieve this transaction.I wish to point out that I want 10% of this money to be shared among  charity Organizations, while the remaining 90% would be shared equally between us. This transaction is 100% risk free. I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement which will protect you from any breach of the law.
Upon receipt of this letter, you are require to forward to me your full details such as:
1. Name in Full-------------
2. Address-------------------------
3. Sex----------------------
4. Nationality/Religion------------
5. Marital Status----------
6. Age-----------------------------
7. Occupation----------------------
8. Phone Number---------------
9. Present Country------------------
I have worked out the modalities for the persecution of this transaction which had meets all necessary requirements in our country and those of international arbitration.
Warm regards,
Barrister Wacfeld Mabsant.

Anti-fraud resources: