fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "DANIEL CHRISTOPHER" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 06:10:12 +0100
Subject: CALL ME:MY USA NUMBER +15153352574 - HON BENEFICIARY
WE THE NEW YORK PAYMENT MEMBERS AND DIRECTOR IS WRITING THIS LETTER FROM THE INSTRUCTION GIVEN TO THIS OFFICE THE THE UNITED STATES SECURITY SERVICE,THE WHITE HOUSE AND ALL AFRICAN COUNTRY AND EUROPE GOVERNMENT FOR THE RELEASE OF THE SUM OF USD7.5MILLION TO YOU WHICH HAVE BEEN DUE AND APPROVED FOR LONG
WE FOUND OUT YOU HAVE TRIED ALL YOUR BEST TO HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR FUNDS BUT TO NO AVAIL,HENCE WE HAVE TO INTERFER IN THIS MATTER TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR FUNDS ENACTED TO YOU AS THE TRUE BENEFICIARY.
WE HAVE WORK OUT THE FRAMEWORK FOR THE PERSECUTION OF YOUR FUNDW WHICH HAD MEETS ALL NECCESSARY REQUIREMENTS IN OUR COUNTRY AND THOSE OF INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION.YOU SHOULD URGENTLY FORWARD THE FOLLOWING WHICH WILL BE USED TO CHECK YOUR INFO IN THE CENTRA CEMPUTING UNIT WHERE YOUR DOCUMENTS WILL BE PRINTED OUT FROM AND SEND TO YOU BEFORE THE ENACTMENT OF YOUR FUNDS.
SEND THE FOLLLOWING DETAIALS"
YOUR FULL NAME
WITH THE ABOVE WILL BE HAVE YOUR DETAILS ADDED TO THOSE THAT WILL BE PAID THIS WEEK OR NEXT WEEK.
YOU SHOULD ALSO PICK FROM THE LIST OF PAYMENT METHOD WE HAVE.
3.KEY TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFER
MAKE SURE YOU PICK FROM THE LIST ABOVE.
FINALLY,YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT THIS FUNDS WILL BE ENACTED FROM THE NEW YORK PAYMENT CENTER HERE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
REPLY TO . firstname.lastname@example.org