fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- please reply to his private email address:firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com,to enable him (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. MUTIU SUNMONU" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 12:37:47 +0100
Subject: PAYMENT INSTRUCTION AS NEXT OF KIN TO YOUR LATE SISTER
SHELL PETROLEUM DEVELOPMENT
COMPANY OF NIGERIA HOUSE 13,
SHELL TRUSTEES ESTATE
MADEIRA STREET-OFF SHEHU SHAGARI,
WAY MAITAMA, ABUJA-F.C.T, NIGERIA.
Dear Sir /Madam,
Hello you may not know who i am, because you've never received mail from me before. I am Mr. Mutiu Sunmonu the Managing Director of Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) in Nigeria, Meanwhile i am contacting you that the former Managing Director of Shell Petroleum Development Company Mrs Caro Edward died along with her husband and there three children during the Bomblast that occurred in Abuja on the 25th of December 2011, Why Praying and Celebrating the Anointing Service of God which every lives was lost in the Church including Four MEN OF GOD and former Managing Director of Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC).
Please view the website :http://www.latestgists.com/25th-of-december-bomb-blast-catholic-church-gets-seriously-affected-with-so-many-fatalities-photos/.
The Federal Government has, however, warned the beneficiaries that it would not tolerate the transfer of the operatorship of the fields to on own foreigners, and that the firms must justify the confidence reposed in the ability of Nigerians to participate in the upstream oil sector. And i was given the mandate from the Nigerian government and also from the Shell Petroleum company to contact you as the Next of Kin by the President of Federal Republic of Nigeria (DR. GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN)and this notice was accepted when President DR. GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN visited the United States of American President Barrack Obama about the corruption in Nigeria and the World in general,Assuredly the delegate from the United Nations and Obama Foundation contact you and we have concluded your payment through the Citibankgroup of Nigeria and i want you to contact the personal Attorney of the late deceased.
In fact the Bank where the deceased had an account valued at about (US$20million) dollars) she deposited for the HIV/AIDS in African which the Company has issued me a notice after the meeting of both countries was held in Washington DC to provide the next of kin of late Mrs. Caro Edward a United States of American Citizen, or have the account confiscated within the next ten official working days. Since i have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives.I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin to Mrs. Caro Edward, since you are from the same country so that the proceeds of this account valued at ($20million) dollars can be paid to you as the true Beneficiary of the fund.
Perhaps 60% to you and 35% to the Personal Secretary of the late deceased Rev. Father Goodluck Johnson, while 5% goes to any expenses during the transaction, I want you to contact the Personal Secretary to the late deceased Rev. Father Goodluck Johnso through the below information, to direct you on how the Citibank Group will release the fund to you. However, I want you to fill the appropriate form immediately.
 Full Names:________________
 Contact address______________________________
 Direct Telephone No: ___________________
|4| Occupation : ____________________________
Therefore i want you to call Rev. Father Goodluck Johnson on his phone number +2348068149537, to enable him forward your contact information to the bank for the release of your fund as Next of Kin to the late deceased.
PLEASE REPLY TO HIS PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESS:firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com,to enable him discuss further.
MR. MUTIU SUNMONU.
SHELL PETROLEUM DEVELOPMENT COMPANY.