fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Eze Michael <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 01:00:50 +0700
Subject: RE:YOUR ATM CARD
Your Swift Credit Card Payment
Preidential Committe on Foreign Payments
Foreign Remittance Department
Afri Bank Plc
Going by series of petition received from International Body on the way
your payment was handled by our correspondence office. After Extensive
closed doors meeting with Board of Directors and other Stake holders in the
Government, Sub-committees of the House of Assembly and the House of Rep,
Federal Republic of Nigeria, it was Resolved and agreed upon that your
payment would be released on a special method of payment, which tag name
reads SWIFT CREDIT CARD.
This method of payment is designed by the Government to avert fraud
perpetration or stoppage of fund by some agencies, either through Anti
Terrorist Certificate or other certificates. This Swift Credit Card would
be issued to you upon meeting with the Bank Requirement.
This office has been mandated to take charge of the Issuance of the SWIFT
CREDIT CARD and that your payment file should be passed to my desk for
clarification. Upon certification that your file is ok.
This office would direct you on how to receive your overdue payment via
SWIFT CREDIT CARD. The SWIFT CREDIT CARD would be delivered to you via
Courier. In the light of this aforementioned, you are required to furnish
this office with the following information:
1) Your Full Name .....................
2) Mailing Address ....................
3) Your Telephone ....................
4) Amount expected ..................
5) Your Next of Kin Name ........
6) Your date of Birth ..................
7) Your occupation ....................
This Information would enable us to issue the SWIFT CREDIT CARD in your
favor with the credit card number and all your information inserted into
the card. Upon completion of this issuance of the Credit Card, It would be
sent to you via Courier to your residential Address.
Please do bear in mind that a fee of $125USD MUST be paid for the shipment
of your card before we proceed with the delivery of your ATM Card.
Urgently furnish this office with your Contact information in order to
reconfirm if it's in line with the one contained in our payment data. Be
informed that your fund has been called back and it's now in a suspense
Account here in Our Bank. A new account has to be opened in your name
before the Swift Credit Card is issued.
Waiting for an urgent response.
Director: Foreign Remittance Department.
Afri Bank Plc