fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "please endeavor to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "with your full names" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "to your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "there is no risk involved" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr Sying Huang" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 29 Jun 2012 08:18:52 -0000
Subject: Mail On 29th
Firstly i would like to thank you for taking your time to read my
email.Before we go fully into this business let me start by introducing
myself to you . I am Mr. Sying Huang. Before the U.S and Iraqi war our
client Mr.Yousef Lazeeez who was with the Iraqi forces and also a
businessman made a numbered fixed deposit for 12 calendar months,with a
value of Seventeen Million Three Hundred Thousand United State Dollars
only into an account with my branch Bank Of China Hongkong. Upon maturity
several notice was sent to him, even during the war.Again after the war
another notification was sent and still no response came from him. We
later found out that the Mr. Yousef Lazeeez and his family had been killed
during the war in bomb blast that hit their home.
After further investigation it was also discovered that Mr. Yousef Lazeeez
did not declare any next of kin in his official papers including the
paperwork of his bank deposit. And he also confided in me the last time he
was at my office that no one except me knew of his deposit in my bank.So,
Seventeen Million Three Hundred Thousand United State
Dollars(US$17,300,000.00) is still lying in my bank and no one will ever
come forward to claim it. What bothers me most is that according to the
laws of my country at the expiration 7 years the funds will revert to the
ownership of the Hong Kong Government if nobody applies to claim the
funds. Against this backdrop, my suggestion to you is that I will like you
as a foreigner to stand as the next of kin to Mr. Yousef Lazeeez so that
you will be able to receive his funds.
WHAT IS TO BE DONE:
I want you to know that I have had everything planned out so that we shall
come out successful. I will contact my attorney to prepare the necessary
document that will back you up as the next of kin to Mr.Yousef Lazeeez,
all that is required from you at this stage is for you to provide me with
your Full Names and Address so that the attorney can commence his job.
After you have been made the next of kin, the attorney will also file in
for claims on your behalf and secure the necessary approval and letter of
probate in your favor for the move of the funds to an account that will be
provided by you There is no risk involved at all in the matter as were
going to adopt a legalized method and the attorney will prepare all the
Please endeavor to observe utmost discretion in all matters concerning
this issue. Once the fund have been transferred to your nominated bank
account we shall share in the ratio of 50% for me, 50% for you. Should you
be interested please get back to me immediately you receive this email and
I will prefer you to reach me on this email address which is
my private email address and finally after that i shall provide you with
more details of this operation.
Note:What i need from you is trust,dedication and Seriousness`this also
involve funds due to the large amount $17,300,000.00 to transfer the said
funds,I have been scammed before now which i would not want to repeat
itself that is why i find it hard to trust someone but in life you must
trust someone some day,If you know you don not have this qualities please
do disregard this email.But if you feel you can do this with me and create
that trust then Your earliest response to this letter will be appreciated.
You can contact me privately on email email@example.com
Mr. Sying Huang.