fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dearest one," (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "will come to you as a surprise" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Dominique Boga <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:09:39 +0100 (BST)
Subject: FROM DOMINIQUE BOGA.
FROM DOMINIQUE BOGA.
RUE 6 BP 01 COCODY ABIDJAN
COTE D IVOIRE.
I KNOW MY MESSAGE WILL COME TO YOU AS A SURPRISE SINCE I
DONT KNOW YOU IN PERSON OR MET WITH YOU BEFORE BUT AM OF
THE BELIEVE THAT YOU WOULD BE OBLIGED TO COME TO MY
ASSISTANCE AFTER HEARING ABOUT MY SITUATION.
I AM DOMINIQUE BOGA.,21 YEAR OLD BOY, I WAS FORMELY A
MEDICAL STUDENT OF UNIVERSITY OF ABIDJAN,IVORY COAST WEST
AFRICA.LATE LAST TWO YEAR OCTOBER 2006,THE REBELS IN MY
COUNTRY STRUCK OUR TOWNSHIP AND KILLED MY PARENTS AND MY ONLY SISTER BECAUSE MY LATE FATHER WAS A HIGHLY REPUTABLE BUSINESS MERCHANT IN A COCOA WHO OPERATED IN THE CAPITAL OF IVORY COAST
BEFORE HIS DEATH HE HAS $7.5 MILLION USD (SEVEN,FIVE MILLION
DOLLARS.) IN A DOMICILIARY ACCOUNT WITH A BANK IN COTE D
IVOIRE WHICH I AM THE NEXT OF KIN.
PLEASE I NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS.
1) TO SERVE AS THE GUARDIAN OF THIS FUND SINCE I AM ONLY 21 YEARS.
2) TO PROVIDE A BANK ACCOUNT WHERE THIS MONEY WOULD BE
3) TO MAKE ARRANGEMENT FOR ME TO COME OVER AFTER THIS MONEY
IS TRANSFERRED TO COMPLETE MY STUDIES AND ALSO LOOK FOR A
GOOD VENTURE WHERE THIS MONEY WILL BE INVESTED,I AM WILLING
TO OFFER YOU 15% OF THE TOTAL SUM AS COMPENSATION OF YOUR
EFFORT AND 5% FOR ANY OTHER EXPENCE YOU MIGHT MADE AFTER A
THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU
MR DOMINIQUE BOGA.