fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Giuseppe" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:33:20 +0200
Subject: PROJECT FUNDING.
UNICREDIT GROUP SpA.
VIALE UMBERTO TUPINI 180,
UniCredit Group is the European region's primary provider of project financing and the most active conventional loan
agency,the Bank is now the leading European facility agent in the region,and a major underwriter and arranger of long
term finance for financial institutions.At the core of our business is our regional expertise,global outreach and
innovative financial solutions.UniCredit Group makes long term capital intensive investments to deliver strong financial
returns and economic diversification.UniCredit Group focuses on a number of areas in which it has developed significant
competitive advantage,including Acquisitions,Aerospace/aviation,Telecommunication,Technology,Energy,Industry,Healthcare,
Infrastructure,Real Estate,Hospitality and other capital ventures.
We request the co-operation and attention of investors, project owners and general business facilitators in the sphere
of financing viable projects with prospective Returns On Investment (R.O.I) in your region.Your Projects can be funded
from 0% to 100% because our bank brings together and manages a multi-billion Euro/Dollar portfolio of Local,Regional and
International investments,which we wish to re-invest confidentially through project funding in investment loan to third
party investors with a 3.5% interest rate per annum on long term investment projects.Interest rates are negociable
depending on the Principal Loan Amount Needed and Loan Duration/Period.
We invite all interested project owners and investors - US or non-US investors to contact the undersigned for further
information on procedures for consideration.Welcome to UCG World of investment opportunities!.
Chief Executive Officer.
For applications from America,Europe Asia and Australia,Kindly Contact DR.MARIANO GIUSEPPE,our Italian Investment
Relations Officer (I.R.O.),for details and directives on how to apply and receive your investment loan offer.
See contact details below:
TEL: +39 3200433454.