fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "COMPENSATION" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 02:37:58 +0800
Subject: YOUR ATM CARD IS READY.
UNITED NATION COMPENSATION COMMITTEE
ASIA REGIONAL HEADQUARTER
RELEASE CODE No: 0763
Beneficiary Email id owner.
Greetings from the United Nations Organization Asia Regional (UN)global office.This is to officially bring to your notice that The ATM card payment center (Kasicorn Bank Group Thailand) Accountant Director Mr.Davies Grace has been given express instruction to issue out in your favor the sum of $US1.920,000 in ATM Master Card functional in Any automatic Machine as your wining payment for this Fiscal year 2012 this instructions is from the custody of the United Nation representative office Asia, this is for abbreviation of the rate of poverty as we saw your name on the list of unpaid individuals,The United Nation Compensation Commission (UNCC) was created in 1991 as a subsidiary organ of the UN Security Council and the payment has been approved by us to be release to you as we notice your payment has been delayed by uncertain reasons which has just been res olved by us through our power so you are free to receive your funds now.
We hereby issued you our code of conduct, which is (ATM-UNO/UNCC-AP2920) so You have to indicate this code when contacting the card Issuance Center with your contact details as stated below,You are hereby adhere to contact the Kasicorn Bank Group with the information below as soon as you receive this email for immediate release of your payment to you so that you can be the first beneficiary to receive its fund since the paying office have alots of beneficiary to pay as directed by (UNO/UNCC).
Identity Card if any:
Below is Kasicorn Bank Group ATM Card issuance center contact information contact them now for the immediate release of your payment to you since it has been approved by United Nations and World Bank Group meanwhile do not be taken unaware that all the necessary document backing the fund up has been forwarded to the custody of the paying bank to ensure smooth release of your $1.920,000 to you as directed by us.
KASICORN BANK GROUP THAILAND ASIA
CONTACT PERSON::MR DAVIES GRACE.
CALL THE BANK AT::+66898244201
Do let us know immediately you have contacted Kasicorn Bank Group Thailand for your payment for more advise as we are keeping close on them to ensure you are paid as soon as possible, Meanwhile do not forget your Code of Conduct (ATM-UNO/UNCC-AP2920) when contacting the bank as it is very important.
Note::The reason you are receiving this notification in your mailbox is because We found your name in our list of people their payment has been delayed so we decide to intervene and help you get paid which we have done.
Mr. Goudie Andrew
Approved Mr Ban Ki Moon
United Nation Secretary General