fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "LINDA" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:05:59 -0700
Subject: FEDEX COURIER COMPANY
This is to bring you notice that i have register your fund with the FEDEX COURIER COMPANY.The FUND value is $1.5
millions united state dollars,The delivery fee has not been paid because they refused to accept it but i paid
their official keeping fee, Reasons for their refusal is because they do not know when you are going to contact
them,So that is reason why i did not pay for delivery fee.I deposited it on 28th May,2012 for immediate delivery
,so i want you to contact them urgently to avoid losing the cash.Forward your info to MR PATRICK EWING.
Note: The reason for the arrangemnet by the British High Commission is because the delivery cost of your Atm Card is less expensive in Nigeria that is why they are refer to contact the Fedex Company AS IT WILL ONLY COST YOU $100 Dollars for the delivery.
CONTACT PERSON;MRS PATRICK EWING
This are the information needed for easy delivery of your ATM Master Card.
1.YOUR FULL NAME_____
2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS______
3.YOUR PHONE AND CELL NUMBER____
4.A COPY OF YOUR PICTURE____
So as soon as you received your Fund do let me know OK,
Linda Anthony .