fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Judith Trabelsi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:36:05 +0800 (CST)
Subject: Donation for the work of God.
Donation for the work of God.
I do pray that this email meets you well. My name is Mrs. Judith Trabelsi. I am a citizen of Kuwait. I was married to late Engr. Jules Trabelsi, An Asian American citizen, former finance controller attached to American Embassy in Kuwait south East Asia. We owned an import/export company ( Al-Anfal Kuwait Co. & FADAK Intl General Trading CompanyÂ ) which operate in Sri Lanka, Kuwait and Asian countries.
Though we haven't met or seen each other before, but i believe that nature has a way of Bringing people together for a Particular Purpose. Me and my late husband has no kids left for all we had. I am presently sick with a severe cancer. I am in the hospital undergoing treatment now. I will be going for surgery in less than 21 days. I don't know what may happen to me. As I don't have a child that will inherit our money.
My husband relatives have pounded all our family properties since my ill health started. That was the reasons I decided to contact you for charity organization in your country to help the poor. If you are capable to set up this charity organization in your country. I will offer you ( $3.7 Million USD ) for the help of the motherless and less privilege and also for the assistance of the widows.
This funds is deposited in my fixed deposit account. If you could get this funds in your possession and make this charity plans done and successfully, you would be entitled to 5% of all the funds, while the remaining 95% will be used to set up a foundation in my husbandâs name ( JULES TRABELSI FOUNDATION ), which will be used to help the less privileged. At the moment I cannot take any telephone calls due to the fact that my husband relatives are around me and my health status.
Please feel free to reply me back soonest, Then i shall give you the contact my lawyer in charge of the funds at London. He will direct YOU to the bank and arrange the transfer document of the funds from my fixed deposit account to your preferred account as the beneficiary to them.
Please note that my lawyer will check on you as a trustee to make sure the fund was utilized according to my last wish. Without your reply in a short while, I will source for another person who will make use of this opportunity before is too late for me. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as i stated herein.
Hoping to receive your reply.
Mrs. Judith Trabelsi.