fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "swift card payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "card center will send you an atm card" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Rev.Samson Chukwu" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:11:48 -0000 (GMT)
Subject: PAYMENT NOTIFICATION
intercontinental Bank Of Nigeria.
This is to officially inform you that we have verified your
contract/inheritance file presently on my desk, and I found out that you
have not received your payment due to your lack of co-operation and not
fulfilling the obligations giving to you in respect to your contract
/inheritance payment since 2006.
Secondly, you are hereby advice to stop dealing with some non-officials in
the bank as this is an illegal act and will have to stop if you so wish to
receive your payment immediately.
After the board meeting held at our headquarters, we have resolved in
finding a solution to your problem, and as you may know, we have arranged
your payment through our SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTER in Europe, America and
Asia Pacific, which is the instruction given by our president, good luck
ebere Jonathan (GCFR) Federal Republic of Nigeria.
This card center will send you an ATM CARD which you will use to withdraw
your money in an ATM MACHINE in any part of the world, but the maximum is
($11,000) Fifteen Thousand Us Dollars in three transactions per day.
So, if you like to receive your fund this way,you are advice to get back
to me with the following information below to enable me get back to you
quickly with full details on how to receive your card.
(1) Your Full Name.....................................
(2) Address where you want the payment center to send your ATM CARD....
(3) Phone And Fax Number.......................................
We shall be expecting to receive your information you have stop any
further communication with anybody or office. On this regards, do not
hesitate to contact me with the above mentioned information.
Thanks for your co-operation.
Rev. Samson Chukwu
intercontinental Bank Of Nigeria.
Note:Because of impostors, we hereby issue you with our code of
conduct,which is (805) so you have to indicate this code when contacting
this CARD CENTER.