fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Rocketmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- guide me toward you. contact me in my private email: email@example.com , for more directions. awaiting your news, receive my (Rocketmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Anna Coleman" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 13:36:53 +0300
Subject: Hello Dear, My ($4,860,000.000) Donation
Hello My Dear.
Greetings to you in the name of our lord Jesus Christ, I know that this
message will appear as a surprise to you that we barely know but the grace
of God directed me to you and I wish you read this message and be blessed
in name of the Lord. I have a brain tumor, I suffer terribly at the
moment. My doctor just informed me that my days are numbered because of my
health therefore condemned to certain death. Currently, I have exhausted
all my savings for my medical care.
But I do have some funds for my charity project, these funds are deposited
in a fixed deposit in a local bank here in Benin. purposed for charitable
foundation. My marital status is such that I'm single because I lost my
Husband for over 9 years now and unfortunately we have not had a child
together, which I am no one to leave my legacy . Therefore, to release my
funds I would like to make a donation so that there is no stiff tax on my
To this I would so graceful and in order to help the poor to give what
amounts to said legacy worth Four million, Eight Hundred and Sixty
Thousand dollars($4,860,000.000) to enable you to establish a charitable
foundation in my memory so that the grace of God be with me until my last
home so I can receive an honorable place with the Lord our father.
I have no fear because before contacted you, i have for several nights
prayed for the Lord Jesus Christ to give me the contact of a trusted
person to whom I can entrust this matter and it is the result of why I am
doing research that allowed me to contact you through this site.
Know that you can keep half of the money for yourself and the rest will be
used to create a charitable foundation in my memory and a federation in
the fight against cancer and also build orphanages. I would have the
following information: Your name and first name, your exact address and
your permanent telephone contact so I can forward them to my lawyer to
appear that you perform the procedure under deal.
I count on your goodwill and especially on the proper use of these funds
have something I do not doubt because I have great confidence in you that
God may guide me toward you. contact me in my private email:
email@example.com , for more directions.
Awaiting your news, receive my cordial and fraternal greetings.
Ms Anna Coleman
My Private email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com