fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "IFHRA ORG." <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 06:46:36 +1200 (NZST)
Subject: Apply for participation.
The worldwide concern about Domestic Violence; its impact on the fate of growing population of the world, has risen to unprecedented levels in the last few years. This explosion of information on Domestic Violence has made all of us much more aware of what is happening. But, the sheer magnitude of it can also be overwhelming. We often ask ourselves, in spite of all the media; are we really certain about what we need to know and are there anything we as average citizens can do about it?
Join our organization, International Forum for Human Right Affairs for our combine conference with Theme, VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN, as we learn the answers to those two important questions concerning Violence against women and children,
What Do We Know?
What Can We Do?
We aspire to:
1) Tackle this scourge of Violence against women and children.
2) Establish relationship between Groups, NGO's and Individuals that
fight against this scourge
The conferences are of two segments.
Firstly, one shall commence in Seattle, Washington, USA. On the 2nd of October till the 5th of October, 2012 at Washington Convention Center (DC's Premium Conference Hall)801 Mount Vernon Place, NW Washington, DC 20001
The second segment shall take place in UK and shall commence on the 8th of October till the 11th of October, 2012 at The Rogate Auditorium North St, Petersfield, Hampshire, GU31 5BH
You must put many things into consideration before taking decision to participate in this workshop. Provisions have been made for participants all round flight tickets, feeding and accommodation in the US. This will be taken care of by our sponsors.
The attendance of the two segments of the event is compulsory for any intending delegate. Delegates will take care of their hotel reservation in United Kingdom during the first workshop as our sponsors did not make provision for that. These will enable us know those that is coming for workshop really and must go back to their home country
The organization is not providing fund for UK hotel service, but suggests some cheap designated hotels in UK. Contact our protocol office for the list of the approved hotels.
Delegates who need the authorization of the US or UK visas to participate in this workshop must indicate that while replying to this mail.
If you have considered this, then you should give us the go ahead by contacting us through this email with the particulars of your delegates in order to receive the conference materials as well as other information.
Send in your applications now(firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mrs. Kate Cruz.