fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "atm payment department" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "swift card payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "REV JOHN" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 21:34:36 +0100
Subject: ATM DEBIT CARD PAYMENT
OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR OF OPERATION
INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE DEPT, IRD.
ATM PAYMENT DEPARTMENT.
Dear Honorable Beneficiary,
You are to contact me through ( email@example.com) immediately you read the above email for immediate release of your fund to you.
This is to officially inform you that we have verified your contract / inheritance file presently on my desk, and I found out that you have not received your payment due to your lack of co-operation and not fulfilling the obligations giving to you in respect to your contract/ Inheritance payment.
We have received the express mandate and instructions from the president, federal republic of Nigeria:Jonathan Goodluck GCFR together with the EFCC Nigeria, the Interpol and the FBI to commence the immediate release of your funds through our swift card payment center. Secondly, you are hereby advised to stop dealing with some non-officials in the bank, as this is an illegal act and will have to stop it if you so wish to receive your payment immediately. Based on the president's directives, we have concluded arrangements for the release of your payment.
The payment will be concluded through our card center which we will send to you an ATM CARD that you will use to withdraw your contract/inheritance funds in any ATM MACHINE CENTER in the world with a maximum of $2000 to $2500 United States Dollars daily. However, Note that this method of payment will be granted if it is acceptable to you for the release of your contract/inheritance entitlement. After the Board of director's meeting held in Abuja, we have resolved in finding a solution to your problem. We have arranged your payment through our SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTER in Europe, America, Africa and Asia Pacific; This is part of an instruction/mandate passed by the Senate in respect to overseas contract payment and debt re-scheduling.
And also the Nigerian Government is using this means to rewards all the citizens of the United states and all part of Europe including Asia, Australia, south America, Antarctica e.t.c and all those who have lost their funds in either scam, or an uncompleted business, or otherwise. You should know that if you are interested to receive your ATM card, which will be credited with $5,000,000.00USD,United States Dollars before it is been sent to you direct to your doorstep through any Courier Service of your choice. Kindly get back to me with the following information below so I can start arrangement on how to get your Atm Card shipped to you
(1) Your Full Name:
(2) Full residential address:
(3) Phone number:
(6) A scanned copy of your international passport or drivers license
This message is supported by the Nigerian Government, After you might have started making use of your ATM card, you can reward me in one way or the other you know best.
TAKE NOTE: That you are warned to stop further communications with any other person(s) or office(s) different from the staff of the ATM Card payment center or DR Henry Chi to avoid delays in receiving your contract/inheritance payment claims.
This measure is intended to stop the impostors you have erroneously been dealing with. You are to adhere strictly to our code of conduct, which is (ATM-13470) which you will have to indicate when contacting the card center, by using it as your subject. just to enable indicate your message easily .
Thanks for your co-operation.
Rev John Nwaego