fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- contact person (mr. johnson thomas) email address(firstname.lastname@example.org) bank mail() direct phone(3608466910) out side (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Asha-Rose Migiro." <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 00:39:14 +0600 (BDT)
Subject: CONTACT CHASE BANK OF U.S.A FOR YOUR FINAL TRANSFER
The United Nations
The United Nations Compensation Commission is a subsidiary organ of the
United Nations Security Council. It was established by the Council in 1991
claims and pay compensation for losses resulting from Scams and wars.
Compensationis payable to successful claimants from a special fund that
receives a percentage of the proceeds from sales of Iraqi oil.
The United Nations Compensation Commission has concluded the
claims-processing exercise in may 20th 2012, and payments to individuals
concluded on June 15, 2012.
It is possible, no matter what the circumstances, to accept new claims or
make corrections or changes to previous claims. All payments have already
been made through respective Governments in Nigeria, Ghana, Togo, Benin
Republic, Burkina Faso, India etc, with out good result and UNCC is make
further payment to individual direct with and the bank and it is only
Chase Bank of Washington DC United State of America (USA) .
This is simply to avoid more scams after long time of period which this
effort has failed us and remember that we need your personal effort so
that we can get this done this time by stopping any further communication
with any body from Countries above no matter how much you have lost on
them because they has nothing to offer you till next world to come but if
you can obey, you will recover all your waist years before the end of this
month, so help your self and this organization.
The UNCC has their representatives in London and United state of America
for this new month June, 2012 but dont have any branches in any country
and does not have any individual , bank or agent within any of the above
countries .The Commission communicates only with whom it concern and can
communicate directly with individual claimants, and will respond directly
to any enquiries. Information on the work of the United Nations
Compensation Commission is contained on the tabs below and can not handle
by any other person or group.
Attention please, your total sum of ($9.8 MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS
ONLY) has been rearranged and directed to Chase Bank of Washington DC
which we has Mr. Johnson W. Thomas as US representative to chase Bank of
Washington DC this morning and only you have to do is to contact him and
the bank on the best way this amount should be wire to you and make sure
you provide them with an email address that is save before those scams can
read this email before you and block us, then start from where they
stopped, if possible open a new email address as soon as you get this
massage and use it with the bank alone for security reasons and make sure
you keep us posted as well.
Here is the contact information and try to contact for the final transfer
of your fund through online banking or wire transfer.
Contact person (Mr. Johnson Thomas)
Direct phone(3608466910) out side USA(+13608466910)
UK BranchAddress:142 -146 Wigand Lane
Wigand, Lancashire 1 2NB
opposite Bellingham Hotel Bar Restaurant
Contact person==Mr. Jack Kraft.
Remember that if you continue with any other person or company after this
notice, then you will not have your fund till you die, I am sorry to put
it this way but i knows i says the truth so that it shall set me free.
Thanks and remain blessed.
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.