fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Roland Ejiro <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 11:43:51 +0800
Subject: GOOD DAY!!
This is to seek for your assistance and i need it urgently, I am a personal
assistance to a serving Governor who's name i will disclose to you as we
He has the sum of US$18.2 Million conceal as family effect in a consignment
which we would want you to receive from a private security firm,They do not
the contents of the consignment as it was deposited by the Governor as family
As we progress upon acceptance to assist in receiving the consignment (Funds) i
will furnish you with the code to the boxes after receiving the funds we would
then discuss on how best to invest the funds in a joint investment until his
terms expired as governor.
You will be compensated with 10% of the total funds as there is no risk as we
believe you would be able to direct us where to invest, you are to send to me
your full name,contact address phone and fax number including any form or
I humbly wait for your response, you can reach me on this private telephone
number for more explanation + 234 702 543 4846
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.