fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "LOW RATE LOAN" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 04:40:59 +0200
Subject: APPLY LOAN 2.25% INTEREST
Make your dreams come true in just 48 hours* with SunTrust Mortgage Ready Cash! The Loan that is fast, easy & affordable.
Apply Now for a fixed rate loan, the 2.25% interest rate is fixed for the life of the loan.
Eligibility Criteria for SunTrust Mortgage
Identity Proof: Passport/ driving license
Age of Applicant: You must be minimum 21 years old.
Countries Applicable: Europe, Asia, Oceania, USA & Others
Minimum Funding: $20000
Maximum Funding: $500000000
Minimum Tenure: 12 months
Maximum Tenure: 240 months
Apply SunTrust Mortgage
DOB: / /
In acknowledgment to these details, you will be sent a well calculated loan terms. Send your e-mails to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your understanding and waiting to hear from you.
Mr. Herman H. Daniel