fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "From Yazid Rawi" <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 02:29:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: PICK UP MONEY FROM WESTERN UNION
WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFERWORLDWIDE:
OFFICE OF THE WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER. COTONOU
Attention: Sole Beneficiary,
This is to notify you that we have concluded to effect your payment
through western union due to pass transfer option.They will be sending
$5,000 daily until the $3.5millionUSD is completely transferred to you
accordingly. Though, Linda Olding. has sent you $10,000.00 today, so
contact Western union Agent:
Dr. Yazid Rawi
Or E-mail(firstname.lastname@example.org )
Here is the MTCN: of your $5,000 USD in two ways: $5000 each First MTCN:
4414267497, Senders name:Linda Olding, Kindly track it on
www.westernunion.com and confirm it,then email me or call me immediately
so that i will contact the sender immediately to activate it so that you
can then go to any western union outlet and collect the money,a total of
3.5 million dollars will be paid to you through this process.
call me now +234-8137715493.
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.