fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "DR GOOD LUCK JONATHAN , PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 19:19:41 +0600 (BDT)
Subject: LAST NOTICE BEFORE TRANSFER TODAY ,
PLEASE CALL ME ON 234-8025456094 TODAY BECAUSE YOUR FUND WILL BE
FROM THE DESK OF
DR GOOD LUCK JONATHAN
TEL = 234-8025456094
CHANGES OF BENEFICIARY
ATTENTION sir/ madam
This is the second time we are notifying you about this said fund. We
hereby send to you the information submitted by Mr. John T. Kehoe
U.S.A of California, with an application to receive your Award Payment
of $32,000.000.00.on your behalf from this office .Please as a matter
of urgency, you are required to verify the following information and
inform us if you are aware or know anything about this.
This morning Mr. John T. Kehoe came to the office claiming that you
have instructed him to come and receive the payment on your behalf
with some representatives.
I have ask them to come back tomorrow as they did not provide any
power of an attorney from you which will proof that you thoroughly
send them, This was to enable me contact you to verify how genuine
this people are to you.
1. Did you instruct one Mr. John T. Kehoe of 122 Fitch Way,
Sacramento, Ca. 95864. whose information's is below, to claim and
receive the payment on your behalf?
2. Did you sign any 'Deed of Assignment' in his favor thereby making
him the current beneficiary with the following account details:
Account Name: Mr. John T. Kehoe Group Ltd,
Bank Name: Bank Of America
Swift Code: 111000025.
Finally, you are hereby advised to indicate to this honorable office
with immediate effect, if you are the person that instructed Mr. John
T. Kehoe to come for the claim of your fund worth of $32,000.000.00.
NOTE: your full name and telephone number is needed for easy
For your information we have three mode of payment .
1 , Bank to bank transfer.
2, ATM CARD
3, Through our cash payment center here in London
We wait for your call on 234-8025456094 via email,
email@example.com and urgent respond to this office
so that you will be giving an immediate Response.
DR GOOD LUCK JONATHAN
PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA