fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "DR GOOD LUCK JONATHAN , PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:59:09 +0600 (BDT)
Subject: LAST NOTICE BEFORE TRANSFER TODAY ,
PLEASE CALL ME ON 234-8025456094 TODAY BECAUSE YOUR FUND WILL BE
This is to notifying you that a transfer of $32,000.000.00 will be made to
your account today by our corresponding bank which is bank of America
.please do re-confirm your banking information where you will want the
fund to be transfer into any where in the world.
please note that this transfer of your fund will reflect in your account
withing 1 hour as soon as we hear from you today.We are advising you to
stop any further dealing with any other bank or group of persons .
Note: All communication should be directed to my telephone number
234-8025456094 and email address: firstname.lastname@example.org for
reasons as we are waiting to receive what we requested from you by email.
As soon as i hear from you , your fund will be release today but if we not
hear from you, we have no choice that to cancel the transfer .
DR GOOD LUCK JONATHAN
CODE IN GOD WE TRUST
NOTE , RECONFIRM YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER TO ENABLE US CONCLUDE THE RELEASE
OF YOUR FUND TODAY