fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447014233116 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "ICC MOBILE PROMO" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 10:38:29 +0530
Subject: FROM THE DESK OF BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION IN COLLABORATION WITH ICC CRICKET COMPANY HOUSE OF PROMOTION ENGLAND.
FROM THE DESK OF BRITISH HIGH COMMISSION IN COLLABORATION WITH ICC CRICKET COMPANY HOUSE OF PROMOTION ENGLAND.
FOREIGN SECRETARY OUTLINE THE GOVERNMENT VISION FOR UK FOREIGN POLICY.
Our priorities Admitted:
ATTENTION: DEAR LUCKY WINNER ,
We the Board of Directors, Members and Committee Of Great British High Commission in collaboration with the Icc Cricket Company House of Promotion England is now aware of your winning prize. We write to remind you that we receive a report that Halifax Bank Liverpool, Nat west bank and Lloyd Bank of Liverpool and courier company did not transfer or deliver your winning prize to your destined Bank Accounts or your home giving address as you have shown to them, After our investigation, We confirmed that you are the Winner of Draw Mobile Award 2011/2012. We have also confirmed that until this moment that you have not receive your Winning amount. After our numerous verification we found out that the Bank and the courier company could not deliver your parcel to your home giving address rather do the bank transfer your winning amount to you due to some banking policy with courier company rules and regulations and your low co-operation to them, In regards to the above mentioned problems, We the (BRITISH HIGH COMMIS
Listen Very Attentively To Enable You Receive Your Draw Mobile Winning Prize!!!
By the power and authority, we have conveyed your transaction to trusted Bank which will transfer your winning prize, you are to contact Royal bank of Scotland with your Bank personal details for them to transfer your winning amount directly to your bank account without any further delay. Be informed that the only money you will pay to them is (55 Pounds) which is their service charges. The reason why you have to pay the charges first to them before receiving your winning prize is because there is an instruction place by (B.M.O.F) British Ministry Of Finance not to deduct any charges from your winning amount for security purposes.
This Is Details To Contact ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND.
Bank Name, Royal Bank of Scotland United Kingdom,
Contact Person: Prof. Andrew Albert,
General Manager Foreign Transfer,
Bank Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bank Phone Number: +447014233116
Bank Fax Number: +447017038113
Is important you call (Prof. Andrew Albert),The General Manager of Royal Bank as soon as you receive this mail and furnish them with your details to receive your prize,Below is the information you are required to fill and forward to ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND LTD .make sure you fill this form before forwarding it to the Royal Bank of Scotland, don't send this form to Royal bank of Scotland without filling it do this immediately.
Your Full Name
Youre Direct Mobile Phone
Your Office/ Home Phone
Youre Bank Name
Bank Account No #..............
Youre Bank Swift Code Id any?..............
Your Next Of Kin Names
While sending the above listed details, Remember to ask ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND UK on how will you pay their bank required service charges of (55 Pounds)which is the only money you will pay to them for immediate transfer of your winning amount. If they ask you for any additional money after you have paid do report to us and legal action will be taken against that.
We guarantee your transaction with ROYAL BANK UK . Follow our instructions, you will not have any problem.
>From British High Commission Foreign Secretary Mark Benjamin has made a statement following the decision to place on your winning amount.
British High Commission Office,
King Charles Street,