fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "cost of transfer" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "huge amount of money" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "international remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Federal Bureau Of Investigation FBI <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 05:23:45 +0800 (CST)
Subject: (FBI) PAYMENT MEMO TO PAYMENT BENEFICIARIES.
Anti-Terrorist and Monitory Crimes
Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
Hoover Building Washington
BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION.
ATTN: ATM CARD PAYMENT
(FBI) PAYMENT MEMO TO PAYMENT
GOOD NEWS FOR YOU FROM THE FBI
UNITED STATES. WE HAD A MEETING WITH INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND AND FEDERAL
GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA/ BENIN OVER YOUR LONG OVERDUE CONTRACT PAYMENT ANDÂ WE
AGREED WITH THEM THAT YOUR FUND SHOULD NOT COST YOU ANYTHING BECAUSE IS YOUR
MONEY, WHICH WE FINALLY REACHED AN AGREEMENT YESTERDAY THAT ALL THE PAYMENT WILL
BEÂ PAID VIA ATM SMART CARD WHICH IS THE SIMPLEST WAY TO TRANSFER HUGE AMOUNT OF
MONEY TO AVOID COST OF TRANSFER AND OTHER STATUTORY DOCUMENTS, WHICH WE
STRETCHED TO HAVE A STRONG AGREEMENT OVER THE PAYMENT THAT WILL COST YOU ONLY
$255 US DOLLARS
FOR DELIVERY OF YOUR ATM SMART CARD VIAÂ UPS OR DHLÂ DELIVERY COMPANY DEPENDING
ON YOUR CHOICE.
HOWEVER, YOU HAVE ONLY TWO WORKING
DAYS TO SEND THIS REQUIRED DELIVERY FEE OF $255USD TOÂ UPS
ORÂ DHL COURIER COMPANY FOR DELIVERING OF YOUR CARD BECAUSE YOUR CARD WILL BE
DISPATCH TO THEM IMMEDIATELY. AND IF WE DONâT HEAR FROM YOU WITH THE PAYMENT
INFORMATION; THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION WILL NOTÂ HESITATE BY GIVEN
INSTRUCTION TO FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA AND THE INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE
DEPARTMENT TO CANCEL YOUR PAYMENT THAT HAS BEEN ALREADY APPROVED AND PROGRAMMED
IN AN ATM SMART CARD.
I WANT YOU TO READ BELOW
CAREFULLY, THE NOTICE BELOW STAND AS CAUTION BEFORE IT IS LATE. FOR YOUR
CONSIDERATION, YOU MUST BE CONSCIOUS OF THIS PROJECT, AS I WILL SOON CONCLUDE
THIS TRANSACTION WITH YOU, LET THIS STAND AS A WARNING BEFORE YOUÂ IN
CASE YOU RECEIVEDÂ ANY E-MAILS OR CALLS REGARDING TO THIS FROM ANY
INDIVIDUAL, OFFICE, ORGANIZATION AND BANKS CLAIMING TO BE
BE INFORMED THAT YOU MAY ALSO
RECEIVE SEVERAL E-MAILS AND TELEPHONE CALLS FROM ANY ORGANIZATION, SUCH MUST BE
FORWARDED TO US IMMEDIATELY FOR VERIFICATION.IT MIGHT COME TO YOU WITH DIFFERENT
PROPOSALS WITH DIFFERENT NAMES INCLUDING MY NAME ASKING YOU TO COME AND PUT
CLAIM ON YOUR ESTATE OR EVEN FUNDS BELONGING TO YOU OR TO SOMEBODY YOU DO NOT
KNOW, I URGE YOU TO IGNORE SUCH E-MAILS OR CALLS, WHILE YOU FORWARD IT TO US. I
WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR ME IS YOUR
UNDERSTANDING AND CO-OPERATION. WHILE RESPONDING TO THE ATM CARD PAYMENT OFFICER
YOU MUST CONFIRM THIS CODE (18062012) FOR IDENTIFICATION.
INFORMED THAT THE PART PAYMENT, WHICH IS 3,000.000.00 MILLION U.S. DOLLARS HAS
BEEN LOADED IN YOUR ATM SMART CARD AND YOUR FUND WHICH IS IN TUNE OF
10,500.000.00 MILLION U.S. DOLLARSÂ WILL COME IN BATCHES OF 3,000.000.00 MILLION
U.S. DOLLARSÂ AND THIS IS THE FIRST BATCH OF YOUR PART PAYMENT.YOUR PAYMENT
WOULD BE SENT TO YOU VIAÂ DHL OR UPS, BECAUSE WE HAVE SIGNED A CONTRACT WITH THEM
WHICH SHOULD EXPIRED BYÂ NOVEMBER 29/2012. BELOW ARE FEW LIST OF
TRACKING NUMBERS YOU CAN TRACK FROM (UPS)
WEBSITE(WWW.UPS.COM) TO CONFIRM PEOPLE
LIKE YOU WHO HAVE RECEIVED THEIR PAYMENT SUCCESSFULLY.
CAROL R BUCZYNSKI
KARIMA EMELIA TAYLOR
MOREOVER, THIS IS ANOTHER PEOPLE
THAT RECEIVED THEIR PAYMENT THROUGHÂ UPS WEBSITE (WWW.DHL.COM).
RICHARD AUTRY ============== 869713119185
GARY METZGER ==============
HOWEVER,BE ADVISED BASED ON OUR
RECOMMENDATION/ INSTRUCTIONS THAT YOUR COMPLETE CONTRACT/INHERITANCE OVER-DUE
FUNDS WILL BE RELEASED IMMEDIATELY UPON YOUR CONTACT TO THE NEWLY APPOINTED
PAYMENT OFFICERÂ THAT WILL CARRY OUT THE DISPATCH OF YOUR ATM SMART CARD TO UPS
COURIER COMPANY WITH THE PAYMENT FOR DELIVERY OF YOUR PACKAGED. YOU ARE
THEREFORE ADVISED TO CONTACT MARK
HILLS IMMEDIATELY AS STATED BELOWÂ AS THE APPOINTED DIRECTOR OF ATM SMART
CARD/FOREIGN OPERATION DEPT AND ASK HIM ON HOW AND WHERE TO SEND THE PAYMENT OFÂ
$255.00 ONLY TOÂ DHL ORÂ UPS COURIER
CONTACT PERSON: MARK HILLS.
EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
DIRECT TELL +234-80-39369-706
YOU'RE ADVISED TO CONTACT HIM
IMMEDIATELY SO AS TO ENABLE HIM FACILITATE A SPEEDY PROCESSING AND RELEASE OF
YOUR DELIVERY SINCE IS THE ONLY $255.00 USD THAT IS KEEPING
YOUR ATM SMART CARD. CONTACT HIM WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AS
5.A Copy of Your
NOTE: YOU'RE ADVISED TO FURNISHÂ
YOUR INFORMATION TO INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT DIRECTOR
HILLS WITH YOUR CORRECT AND VALID
DETAILS TO ENABLE HIM EXPEDITE SPEEDY ACTION ON THE PROCESSING OF YOUR PAYMENT.
WE EXPECT YOUR SWIFT RESPONSE TO THIS EMAIL TO ENABLE US MONITOR THIS PAYMENT
AND THE DELIVERY OF YOUR ATM SMART CARD EFFECTIVELY THEREBY MAKING CONTACT WITH
THE INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT AS DIRECTED TO AVOID FURTHER
YOUâRE ALSO EXPECTED TO FOLLOW HIS
ADVICE AND DIRECTIVES TO AVOID DELAY IN RELEASING YOUR PAYMENT BECAUSE YOUR
PAYMENT FILE HAS ALREADY BEEN MOVED TO IMF OFFICE FOR PROCESSING AND
Robert S. Mueller III
Federal Bureau of Investigation
J. Edgar Hoover Building
Disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming to be in
possession of your ATM card, you are hereby advice only to be in contact with
Mark Hills who is the rightful person to deal with in regards to your payment
and forward any emails you get from impostors to this office so we could act
upon it immediately. Help stop cyber