fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Joseph Leon" <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "Mr. Joseph Leon" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:59:04 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Dear customer,
GOD has done it for you this time your consignment and your ATM Card is
leaving on next week Thursday night to your in country with the
Government Delivery Officer that has immunity coverage he is from
(Earthlink Delivery- Express Courier Services).
We have been
waiting for him to arrive because he is the only Delivery officer in
this country that's has immunity coverage to any consignment all over
Make sure you will be in your address on Friday
morning please because the delivery officer will not like to be delay at
all. And for your information all your peepers are in order and
complete including your airway bill but the Delivery Officer is talking
about (Trukpa Trukpa) Document which is Global Certificate that will
cover your ATM Card and your consignment to avoid any problem or delay
in your Airport, the (Trukpa Trukpa Document).I also want you to
reconfirm me your delivery address where you want your consignment and
your ATM Card to be delivered again to be sure to avoid any mistake with
ones again make sure you will be in your
address on next week Friday morning very important because he will be at
your door step take note, make sure you check your consignment and your
ATM Card very well the amount of funds in your consignment is
US$3,600,000.00 dollars,and there is small Gold in the Small Box. and
make sure you print your clearing information's out because is very
important. I will also send you the delivery officer Contact details.
Please provide us with your receiving address and phone number with a
copy of your identification for our official delivery procedures.
below the clearing information's and security code numbers to your
consignment with the Delivery officer from ( Earthlink Delivery Express
1. Source of merchandise - personal treasure
2. Code de depot - 0061/BX/SH/003
3. Code de transaction - ASDCS/00317/13
4. Code de reference - A001/LMDEDIOULD/713
5. Code de security - BX/SHW/0031283407/XX/13
6. No of merchandise - 1.
To open the consignment -the big box use this number -52546514.The small box use this number -03174322.
Call me immediately on is +234 806 4252772 you receive my email. Please no mistake. Good Luck.
I wait to hear from you as soon as possible.
Office of Chief Controller
Phone: +234 806 4252772