fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "robert mueller" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real FBI will not tell you to contact some email address. If you are in any doubt, contact an FBI field office via www.fbi.gov. )
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: World Bank <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 20:39:48 +0800 (CST)
Subject: YOUR SUPER BOOSTED ATM CARD IS READY FOR DISPATCH;
YOUR SUPER BOOSTED ATM CARD IS READY FOR
Dear Valued Customer
We are delighted to read from you and a correspondent mail from your
officer.Mr Robert Mueller of the FBI.Thank you for contacting us for
delivery of your Parcel to you.This is to inform you that we are in
possession of a certified ATM CARD which is to be couriered to you. We are
to inform you that ATM Card Number; 4000101025717299 has been approved and
upgraded in your favor. Meanwhile, your Secret Pin Number will be issued to
you at the point of delivery.
The ATM Card Value is US$5.5
Million Only. Note that a maximum withdrawal
value of $100,000.00 is
permitted daily. And we are duly inter-switched and
you can make withdrawal
in any location of the ATM Center of your
choice/nearest to you. We have
also concluded delivery arrangement with our
Delivery Agent to be fully
insured and also oversee the delivery of your
ATM Card parcel to you
without any further delay.
In view of this development, you are
requested to get back to this courier
company as soon as possible, to
enable us schedule the delivery of your card
to your designated home
address as recorded.Advice this Company of your
preferred time of
visitation to delivery so that we can inform our delivery
Agent that is
coming to deliver your parcel and also issue your tracking
you.Treat as very urgent, as we also remind you once again that
Card is ready.
Hurry,and get back to this company,and also Advice this
Company of your
preferred time and date of visitation to delivery so that
we can inform our
delivery Agent that is coming to deliver your parcel to
you.Hurry and get
back to us because your parcel is ready for
delivery.also let us have your
receiving address where you want us to
deliver your parcel to you.
The ATM CARD had been uploaded and nobody will have access to the card
except you.The card is from Federal bank of singapore in collaboration with
Standard Chartered bank of
Singapore, Zenith bank and Stanbic bank.SO access
the these Four website for more information and
BARRISTER MRS. ROSELING JOSEPH,