fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Morise <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:55:03 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: We have Available Product: AU- Alluvial Gold/ Dory Bars For sale
Dear Prospective buyer,
I'm representative of Community in Abidjan by owners of gold dust and bars. The Village Miners are looking for a reliable buyer of Gold dust/Bars and I have been mandated to sell 450kgs gold dust and 200kgs bars available in the mining villages. The Village Miners are the real owners of the metal and are digging directly from the mining fields.
Commodity: Alluvial gold dust (AU) & BARS
Origin: Cote dâIvoire -CI
Quantity: 650 kgs
Quality: 23 carat
Price: $35,000 for 1kg/ Gold Bars
Price: $29.500 for 1kg/Gold Dust
let me know if you are interested in buying from us to my E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Richard Morise