fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dearest one," (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: montee <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:03:55 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Investment proposal letter
>From Miss.Sadaf Montee,Investment proposal letter
Greetings to you in the name of our God?please don't be offended for
intruding into your affairs, I am Miss.Sadaf daughter of Late Eng.Montee
Owner of Montee PLC,I planned to invest in Giannakochori Greece
real estate company before the greece economic crisis ,Please I want you
to help me invest a sum of ( $ 6500.000.00 Million United State
dollars)into a profitable business ventures.
Meanwhile,If your willing to assist me in this transaction after
which I am ready to pay you 10% as your commission from the total sum and
another 20% as your annual interest especially for securing this fund for me
in a good business venture
await your soonest response for more details with your personal information for communication