fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "robert mueller" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real FBI will not tell you to contact some email address. If you are in any doubt, contact an FBI field office via www.fbi.gov. )
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: ATM CARD <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:11:56 +0800 (CST)
Subject: YOUR SUPER BOOSTED ATM CARD IS READY FOR DISPATCH;
YOUR SUPER BOOSTED ATM
CARD IS READY FOR DISPATCH;
Dear Valued Custome
We are delighted to
read from you and a correspondent mail from your claim
Mueller of the FBI.Thank you for contacting us for the
delivery of your
Parcel to you.This is to inform you that we are in
possession of a certified
ATM CARD which is to be couriered to you. We are
to inform you that ATM
Card Number; 4000101025717299 has been
in your favor. Meanwhile, your Secret Pin Number will be issued to
you at the point of
ATM Card Value is US$5.5 Million Only. Note that a maximum withdrawal
value of $100,000.00 is
permitted daily. And we are duly inter-switched and
you can make withdrawal in
any location of the ATM Center of your
choice/nearest to you. We
have also concluded delivery arrangement with our
Delivery Agent to be fully
insured and also oversee the delivery of your
ATM Card parcel to you
without any further delay.
In view of this
development, you are requested to get back to this courier
company as soon as
possible, to enable us schedule the delivery of your card
to your designated home
address as recorded.Advice this Company of your
preferred time of
visitation to delivery so that we can inform our delivery
Agent that is coming to
deliver your parcel and also issue your tracking
number to you.Treat as
very urgent, as we also remind you once again that
your ATM Card is
ready. Hurry,and get back
to this company,and also Advice this Company of your preferred time and date of
visitation to delivery so that we can inform our delivery Agent that is coming
to deliver your parcel to you.Hurry and get back to us because your parcel
is ready for delivery.also let us have your
receiving address where
you want us to deliver your parcel to you.
The ATM CARD had been
uploaded and nobody will have access to the card except you.The card is from
Federal bank of singapore in collaboration with Standard Chartered bank of Singapore, Zenith bank and
Stanbic bank.SO access the these Four website for more information and
(4) www.federalbank.co.in/General_DebitCards_Debit-Cards.aspx ;
MRS. ROSELING JOSEPH,
Committee Secretary General,