fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "fiduciary agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "u.k " (this email uses bad English)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447035927031 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Kenneth Gram" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 07:03:30 -0500
Subject: Swiss Lotto London Uk
SWISS LOTTO LONDON UK
AFFILIATED OFFICE U.K,
82 VICTORIA STREET
VICTORIA LONDON SW1 U.K
CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU HAVE WON ?750,000 Pounds
You have been awarded ?750,000 Pounds in the SWISS-LOTTO Satellite Software email
Lottery in which e-mail addresses are picked randomly by Software powered by the Internet through the worldwide website, your email address was amongst those
Chosen this year for the SWISS-LOTTO Satellite lottery. And this promotional program
is proudly sponsored by the SWISS-LOTTO organization.
Your email address attached to Ref number 3, 6, 10, 16, 24, 25 with Serial 3,
and consequently won the lottery in the "A" Category. You have therefore been
approved for a lump sum pay out of ?750,000 Pounds. Number 1979-12 drew the lucky
Numbers 101979-12 drew the lucky Numbers please note that you are lucky winning
number falls within our UK Booklet representative. In View of this, your winning
prize will be released to you by our fiduciary agent located In our AFFILIATED OFFICE U.K .Our UK agent will immediately commence the process to facilitate the release
of your winning funds as soon as you Contact them.
This promotion takes place annually. For security reasons, you are advised to
keep your winning details confidential till your claims is processed and your
Winning funds remitted to you in whatever manner you deem fit to Claim your
prize. This is part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and
unwarranted abuse of this program by some unscrupulous elements.
To file for your claim, please contact our fiduciary agent:
Mr. David Barnet Bradley
Provide him with the informations as stated below:
(7) Country of Residence:
(9) Telephone Number:
(11)Draw Number above:
These details facilitate the due process and the release of winnings to avoid
Unnecessary delays and complications in the processing of your Winnings.
Congratulations once more from all members and staff of this program.
Mr. Kenneth Gram
Online Games Director
SWISS LOTTO LONDON UK...