fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Adrienne Bailon <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:21:26 +0900
Subject: Greetings to you and your family.
PLEASE ENDEAVOUR TO USE IT FOR THE WILL OF GOD
Greetings to you and your family.
I am Sister Adrienne Bailon from Hungary. I am married to My Husband who worked with Hungarian embassy in cote d'ivoire for nine years before he died in the year 2006.We were married for eleven years without a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. Before his death we were both born again Christians. Since his death I decided not to re-marry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against.When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of 18 MILLION Euros with one of the PRIVATE SECURITY COMPANY here in Cote D Ivoire as Family Valuables.Presently, this money is still with the SECURITY COMPANY.
Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the next three months due to my cancer problem.Though what disturbs me most is my stroke Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to church or better still a Muslim, Christain or an individual who will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct here in.
I want a God fearing person who can use the fund to establish an orphanages and widows, propagating the word of God and to ensure that the house of God is maintained. The Bible made us to understand that Blessed is the hand that giveth. I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are very dubbios and I don't want my husband's hard earned money to be misused by people who does not deserve it. I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly manner. Hence the reason for taking this bold decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bossom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace.
As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the SECURITY COMPANY in Cote'd Ivoire.I will also introduce you to them as my partner and the new beneficiary to the said fund. I want you and your family to always pray for me because the lord is my shephard. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Who ever that wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and truth.Please always be prayerful in your life. any delay in your reply will give me room in searching for another individual for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated here in. Email me at: email@example.com
Hoping to hearing from you
MRS. Adrienne Bailon