fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Rose Richard <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Rose Richard <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:38:58 +0800 (SGT)
Subject: From Miss. Rose Richard,
>From Miss. Rose Richard,
Good day my dear,
In confidence,i have to introduce myself for i am Miss. Rose Richard, 21
years old, I am the only child of late Mr & Mrs. Yves Richard. I
prayed before contacting you, please for God sake do not see my mail as
embarrassment as we do not know each other.
I wish to request for your assistance in my efforts to procure the
transfer of my inherited money for investment ventures under your care
and directive,while i will continue my education there in your country. I
inherited Six Million,Four Hundred Thousand Dollars ($6,400,000.00) here in my name with one of the prime bank in my country and I will require
your assistance in receiving the transfer of my inherited money in your
local account for investment purposes,as it is my wish to come over to
your country to further my education while you take care of the
investment of the money.
Please i am an orphan and i need your assistance to transfer my inherited
money to your country and also your assistance to secure a nice school
for me in your country where I will continue my education.
Please I am waiting to hear from you soonest
Yours sincerely,Miss.Rose Richard.