fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: "Anna Khalifa" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 18:31:39 +0200
Subject: FROM:PRINCESS KHALIFA ANNA
I am Princess Anna Khalifa.My father died earlier June with his brother and left me and my younger brother behind.He was the Adviser to the Sudanese President,My father was a distinguished figure in Sudan ,when my father was alive he had previously held the positions of governor of Khartoum,agriculture and information minister They were killed in an accident in sudan 27 June 2007.You can confirm it here
He left the sum of USD28,000,000 dollars (Twenty-Eight Million Dollars) in a finance company,I kept this secret to people in the refugee camp here where I am now ,I am ready to pay 20% of the total amount to you if you help me in this transaction and another 10% interest of Annual After Income to you, for handling this transaction for me, which you will strongly have absolute control over it reply me back for the full info
Princess Anna Khalifa.