fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "MR.DAVID J FILLS" <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "MR.DAVID J FILLS" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 00:58:57 +0800 (CST)
Subject: CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE REGARDING YOUR FUND.
Â Â Â Â Â
We are in receipt of the appeal to our office in your favour, and we
have taken necessary measures to ensure that you are dully compensated..
This is Mr David J. Fill, andthe foreign espionage of the FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (FBI) and the United States delegated Barrister to the Country "Benin Republic" where you are compensated by AFRICA UNION (AU)
with the sum of ($1.100 000 00 USD) One million, One Hundred United States
However you are
strictly advice to stop all on-going transactions you have in Benin
Republic regarding your aforementioned fund, and forward their write ups
to this office, so that we can send it to the FBI head
office right away for proper investigations.
I will also like to inform you that your funds is with the TNT Courier Company who are in control of making sure your funds is
been delivered to you right in your residence within 2days, However
You are advised to contact the company's office with
the below requested information:
Your full Name:.
Your full Address:â¦..
Home or Office/Cell Phone:â¦â¦..
Meanwhile, in receipt of this e-mail, you have only 12hrs to call or
e-mailÂ dispatch officer in charge of
your fund: Name Dr.Jame A.Williams, number,+229-99873347, Office
e-mail:(email@example.com) if you did not respond to this e-mail within 12 hrs, your fund will be transferred to government treasury account.
We await your urgent response to this email.
Mr.David J. Fills,
DELEGATED BARRISTER TO THE
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â