fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mohammed Ishan (Chairman)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 01:00:03 +0200
Subject: VALIDATION OF PAYMENT
PRESIDENTIAL COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN DEBT/ CONTRACT PAYMENT
VERIFICATION AND RECONCILIATION
OFFICE OF THE CHAIRMEN FOREIGN DEBT PAYMENT
ASO ROCK VILLA, ABUJA-NIGERIA,
This is to inform you that it was resolved and agreed upon
that the approved US$8.5Million will be Release to You on a
Special Method Payment. Via KEY TELEX TRANSFER (KTT) direct
wire transfer to your account, You Are advice to get back to
this office with your full name, address and direct
telephone number within 48hours to claim your funds
Mr. Mohammed Ishan
Foreign Debt reconciliation committee
Direct Line:+ 2348183060755