fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +448719159084 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: POOJA CHAUDHARY <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:16:44 +0000
Subject: OUR COMPANY NEED IT URGENTLY
Permit me for intruding your mailbox.
I got your Contact via Internet during my research for
Interested and Serious Person that will handle this business and God
directed me to you. I am contacting you regarding our company urgent
need for (DINOSILE OIL LIQUID) a raw Chemical material are available
in India recently. It is the major liquid material our company has
been using for the production of animal injections and vaccines since
2005. Our company is currently buying this product at the rate of
$42,000 USD per One (1) gallon from the Original Company supplier in
USA and Brazil.
Recently, I found out that this same material is Produced and sold
in India at the rate USD $15,000 per 1 gallon and I do not wish to let
anyone in our company to know about this because of my interest in the
business. I intend to present you as a supplier in India (You will be
a Middleman between our company and the local vendor in India) so that
my company will not know the main-source of the material. This is just
a kind of buying and selling business and all you will do is to buy
the 1 gallon of the Chemical as sample and keep it ready with you, so
that you will show it to our Company purchasing Manager as a sample as
soon as he arrive in India for the purchasing of the chemicals and be
informed that our company use to buy quantity of the chemicals and
required more than 50 gallons every month.
If you are willing to co-operate with me, Kindly send your reply to
my Direct E-mail Address:(firstname.lastname@example.org) I will send
you our Company director's contact detail then you will send him an
offer and as soon as he indicate interest to buy, you will let him
know the stock is ready and you are willing to supply as many as
required at a reduced price per gallon. I will also forward you the
contact detail of the dealer where you will get the material in India.
The dealer selling price in India is $15,000USD per gallon and then
all profits accrued would be shared between you and me, after
deduction of all your expenses, etc. This would be a long term
business relationship between you and our company.
NOTE, I am an India Citizen, born and brought up here in UK and my
parent are late. Awaiting your reply immediately you receive this mail.
With best wishes,
Mrs. Pooja Chaudhary.
Tel: +4487 1915 9084