fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "International Business Consortium" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 22:38:55 +0100
Subject: We Fund your Project @ Lower interest Rate;
I am direct to a project funder who is also known as private lender, they specialized in bank instrument lease and sales,
their funds is purely earned from private and corporate investment portfolios without criminal origin.
With the group capital fund which are specifically for lease/sales in form of bank instrument.
The Financial institution can finance your signatory projects such as Real Estate Development,
Aviation Service, Agriculture Finance, Petroleum Importation, Telecommunication, construction
of Dams or Bridges and all kind of projects.
The bank instrument can be use for purchase of goods from any manufacturer irrespective of their
location. It can also serve as collateral with any bank in the world to secure loan for your project
or to establish line of credit with your bank. We offer Bank Guarantee (BG), Standby Letter of Credit (SBLC),
Medium Term Notes (MTN) and Confirmable Bank Draft (CBD) and others,
all are issue from AAA Rated bank such as Deutsche Bank, HSBC Bank, UBS Zurich, Barclays Bank , Standard Chartered Bank E.T.C.
For more information, Endeavour to contact me as your convenient time.
5508 Fleetwood LN,
Greensboro, NC 27407-7370,