fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "economic and financial crimes commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "farida waziri" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.ROBERT S. MUELLER," (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 04:11:10 +0800
Subject: Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Anti-Terrorist And Monitory Crime Division.
Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
J.Edgar.Hoover Building Washington Dc
Records show that you are among one of the individuals and organizations who are yet to receive their overdue payment from overseas which includes those of Lottery, Compensation,Contract payment and Inheritance. Through our Fraud Monitoring Unit we have also noticed that for few months ago you have been transacting with some impostors and fraudsters who have been impersonating and claiming to be working with this offices like Mr. Sanusi of Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr. Tunde Sulaiman of Chevron, Mr. John J. McCloy of World Bank, Mr. Ban Ki-moon of United Nations, President Goodluck Jonathan of Federal republic of Nigeria, Sir Win Bischoff of foriegn exchange, Farida Waziri of EFCC, none officials of Oceanic Bank, Zenith Banks, Kelvin Young of HSBC, Ben of FedEx, Ibrahim Sule, Dr. Usman Shams uddeen and some impostors claiming to be working with The Federal Bureau of Investigation etc.
The Cyber Crime Division of the FBI in conjunction with: Agencis Federal de Investigation (AFI) USA , Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and Metropolitan Police [Scotland Yard] England gathered information from the Internet Crime Complaint Center (ICCC) formerly known as the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) of how some people have lost outrageous sums of money to these impostors. As a result of this I hereby advise you to stop communication with anyone not referred to you by us as we have investigated these bodies and have found out that they were impostors. And have hence direct beneficiaries to rightful claim centers in Nigeria, We guarantee 100% receipt of your payment, because we have perfected everything in regards to the release of your $10.5 Million USD to be 100% risk free and free from any hitches as it¡¦s our duty to protect you. (This is as a result of the mandate from US Government to make sure all debts owed to people which includes Inheritance, Contract, Lottery,
ATM CARD COMPENSATION PAYMENT AWARD AUTHORITY WEST AFRICA
Lawyer Advocate Bobby Isaac.
Do contact advocate MR.Bobby Isaac the advocate assigned for the delivery of your ATM Card by the ATM Card Center via his contact details above and furnish him with your details as listed Below, calling him on his hot line +2348038910740 and also email him with the above email address to festering up the delivery of your ATM Card to you in your home Address:
1. FULL NAMES:______________________________________
5. MARITAL STATUS:_______________________________
7. TELEPHONE NUMBER:____________________________
9. AMOUNT WON:$10.5 Million USD-----------------
12.:SCAN COPY OF YOUR ID PROVE________________
On contacting him with your details your files would be updated and he will be sending you the payment information in which you will use in making payment of the $490.00USD via Money Gram/Western Union Money Transfer for the procurement of your Approval of Payment Warrant and Endorsement of your fund Release Order. After which the delivery of your ATM card will be effected to your designated home address without any further delay, extra fee or any authority raising eyebrow, Upon receipt of payment the advocate will ensure that the delivery officer approves that your package is sent within 48 working hours Because we are so sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive your ATM CARD Shipment Confirmation within the next 48hrs after you have made the $490.00USD payment, Once again we are so sure of you receiving your payment at no any other cost as we have taking it upon our duty to monitor everything in other to cub cyber crime that is perpetrated by those.
Thanks and proceed now and get in Contact with the Lawyer Advocate MR.Bobby Isaac for the shipment of your ATM Card.
Mr.ROBERT S. MUELLER,
DIRECTOR FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535
FAX: (202) 666-5283
Note: Note: Disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming to be in possession of your funds or ATM card, you are hereby advice only to be in contact with Lawyer Advocate MR.Bobby Isaac the advocate assigned to you for the delivery of your ATM Card by the ATM card center who is the rightful person to deal with in regards to your payment worth $10.5 Million USD and forward any emails you get from impostors to this office via the above fax number so we could act upon it immediately. Help stop cyber crime.