fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447014239896 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Global Trust <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 15:30:26 +0530
Subject: Call me +447014239896
From: DISPATCH OFFICIAL:
Global Trust Security company.
Direct Tell +447014239896
My name is Mr. David John , I am the DISPATCH OFFICIAL of Global Trust Security Company London UK. I got your information during my search through the Internet.
It may interest you to hear that I am a Man of peace and I don't want problem, but I do not know how you will feel about this because you may have double mind. But I am telling you that this is real deal and you are not going to regret after doing this transaction with me. I only hope that we can assist each other. But if you don't want this business offer kindly forget it and I will not contact you again.
I have packaged a financial transaction that will benefit both of us, as the regional DISPATCH OFFICIAL of the Global Trust Security company, it is my duty to send in a financial report to my head office in the capital city (USA) at the end of each year. On the course of the last year 2012 year report, I discovered that my branch in which I am the DISPATCH OFFICIAL that a customer who lodge a box of money worth the sum of [£7,500.000.00GBP] is late without no beneficiary to claim the box, so ever since the box have been there without no one to claim it. which my head office is not aware of it and will never be aware of.
As a DISPATCH OFFICIAL of the Security Company I cannot be directly connected to this box of fund, so this informed me of contacting you for us to work, so that you can assist me and receive this fund for us to SHARE. Mean While you will have 45% of the total fund,while i will have 45% while 10% will be used for expenses Note there are practically no risk involved, it will be delivered directly to your home address, all I need from you is to stand claim as the original depositor of this fund who lodged the box of money with our branch so that my Head office can order the delivery to your designated address.
If you accept this offer to work with me, I will appreciate it very much. As soon as I receive your response.
I will give you details on how we can achieve it successfully.
looking forward to your response.
Contact me with this email ID: email@example.com
Global Trust Security.
Direct Tell +447014239896