fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Andrea Kouame <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 07:05:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: reply me
I want to solicit for your help in fulfiling my wish, I am Mrs:Andrea Kouame 52 years old widow, my husband and I worked with Tullow oil London, United Kingdom before he died. I am writting you this message via a lap top computer on my sick bed at the hospital were I am undergoing medical treatment. I have been diagnosed of endometrial cancer,unfortunatelly for me my doctor said I donât have any chance to survive except by a miracle and I have spent a lot of money on medical treatment yet no improvement.
The reason why I am writting you this email is because I want you to stand as beneficiary and trustee to the huge amount of funds which I inherited from my late husband. I dont have any bilogical child of my own who will inherit this funds neither do I have any adopted child. Donating this funds as charity is the only legacy I can leave behind after my death.
Please I want you to kindly help me to fulfil this goal before I will die. I have agreed to offer you the 10% of the total sum for your own personal use for your assistance ,while the remaining 90% of the total sum will be use for charity purposes as I have stated. If you are willing to help me undertake this assignment and do as I wish, respond immediately so that I will give you more required details, Hoping to receive your quick response.
Mrs:Andrea Kouame ,