fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "please endeavor to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
Fraud email example:
From: =?iso-2022-jp?B?IlVOSVRFRCBOQVRJT05TIENIQVJJVFkgRk9VTkRBVElPTj8i?= <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 16:22:45 +0900
Subject: FINAL NOTICE.
UNITED NATIONS CHARITY FOUNDATION$(D"n(B
Grant Aid Donation Programe.
65 Rose Glen, Rush Green
Romford ESS RM7 0SL England.
Our Ref: BH100893Q
Greetings from the management and staff of the UNITED NATIONS CHARITY
The United Nations Charity Foundation Programme (UNCF), would like to notify
you that your Email Address have been chosen/selected by the board of trust
ees through Microsoft Corporation on-line email web directory as one of the
final recipients. Your Email Address Awarded Grant valued sum of $B!r(B1,000,000
.00 (One Million Great British Pounds) for your personal, business, or educa
tional use e.t.c.
The United Nations Charity Foundation Programme (UNCF) was created in 1998 w
ith entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner?s historic $B!r(B1 Billion gift t
o support UN causes and activities. The United Nations Charity Foundation Pr
ogramme builds and implements public-private partnerships to address the wor
ld?s most pressing problems, and broadens support for the UN through advocac
y and public outreach. The UN Charity Foundation Programme is a public chari
You are required to contact the Claims Processing Department below for
qualification documentation and processing of your claims document. Please
endeavor to quote your Qualification numbers (UNCF-03945-UNOG) in all
discussions. Contact Claims Processing Department with these following
information (Your Name, Your Contact Address, Your Mobile Number, Your Scan
Copy Working Identity Card Proof Or International Passport/Driver's License).
Contact Claims Processing Department
Contact Email: email@example.com
Mr. R. E. Turner,
Chairman Board Of Trustee
$(D"m(B 2013 UN Charity Foundation Programme, All Rights Reserved.