fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "liberia" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "god-fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 08:13:46 +0000
Subject: REPLY FAST
Good Day to you,
How are you and the members of the family.I hope they are fine.I got
your contact through a christian lady,according to her you are a
trustworthy person and God-fearing
who can assist me in areas of investment.
My name is Miss Eddy Davidson,a Liberian by nationality and i an 20
I am the eldest duagther of late Dr.Davidson Solomon who was the Owner
of Ewoma Gold and Diamond Company in Liberian,who was killed recently
at the Liberian war.
After the death of my father,our family lawyer brought some document
showing that my father deposited 2 Million u.s Dollars and 5m.KG of
Gold and in a private security company in Accra,Ghana.My name were used
as the next of kin.
What I want you to help me to do,is to assist me carry the money to
your country for investment,but if you can not come to Ghana i and my
family will work out the modalities on how the money could be sent to
you through diplomatic means.We has agreed to compensate you with 10%
of the total amount,while 2% would be used for any expenses that may
happened during the
My hearing from you i shall furnish you in full and will have all the
documents with us in the refugee camp in Ghana.
I want you to Reply to my Email address:
Miss Eddy Davidson(for the Family)
I've invited you to fill out the form REPLY FAST. To fill it out, visit: