fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "cheque " (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Miss. Donna Gwen" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 03:17:43 -0400
Subject: GOOD DAY----------------YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS HAS JUST WON YOU $3.5 MILLION USA DOLLARS BY THE UNITED N
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Anti-Terrorist And Monitory Crime Division.
Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW Washington, D.C.
Customers Service Hours / Monday To Saturday:
We bring to your notice that your email address was randomly
selected as email address of scammed victims who are to be
compensated that is why we are in contact with you so take your time
to read this information carefully.
Series of meetings have been held over the past 7 months
with the secretary general of the United Nations
Organization, this ended 3days ago. It is obvious that you
have not received your funds valued at
$3.5 Million us dollars due to past corrupt Governmental
Officials who almost held the funds to themselves for their selfish reason
and some individuals who have taken advantage of your funds
all in an attempt to swindle your funds which has led to so
many losses from your end and unnecessary delay in the
receipt of your fund.
The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the
United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have
successfully passed a mandate to the current president of
Nigeria his Excellency President Goodluck Jonathan to boost
the exercise of clearing all foreign debts owed to you and
other individuals and organizations who have been found not
to have receive their Contract Sum, Lottery/Gambling,
Inheritance and the likes. Now how would you like to receive
your payment? Because we have two method of payment which is
by Cheque or by ATM card?
ATM Card: We will be issuing you a custom pin based ATM card
of the UNITED BANK OF AFRICA which you will use to withdraw
up to $10,000 per day from any
ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo on it and the card
have to be renewed in 4 years time which is 2017. Also with
the ATM card you will be able to transfer your funds to your
local bank account. The ATM card comes with a handbook or
manual to enlighten you about how to use it. Even if you do
not have a bank account.
Cheque: To be deposited in your bank for it to be cleared
within three working days. Your payment would be sent to you
via any of your preferred option and would be mailed to you
via UPS. Because we have signed a contract with UPS which
should expire in next three weeks you will only need to pay
$280 instead of $420 saving you $140 So if you pay before
the end of september 2013 you save $140 Take note that
anyone asking you for some kind of money above the usual fee
is definitely a fraudsters and you will have to stop
communication with every other person if you have been in
contact with any. Also remember that all you will ever
need to pay for is for the ups courier service delivery of your
package which is $280 us dollars . And we
guarantee the receipt of your fund to be successfully
delivered to you within the next 24hrs after the
receipt of payment has been confirmed.
Note: Everything has been taken care of by the Federal
Government of Nigeria, The United Nations, Federal Bureau Of Investigation
including tax offices, custom paper and clearance duty services so all
you will ever need to pay is $280 which is for the ups courier service
delivery of your package. DO NOT SEND MONEY TO
ANYONE UNTIL YOU READ THIS: The actual fees for shipping
your ATM card is $420 but because UPS have temporarily
discontinued the C.O.D which gives you the chance to pay when package is
delivered for international shipping We had to sign contract
with them for bulk shipping which makes the fees reduce from
the actual fee of $420 to $280 nothing more and no hidden
fees of any sort!
BELOW ARE FEW LIST OF TRACKING NUMBERS YOU CAN
TRACK FROM (UPS) WEBSITE(WWW.UPS.COM) TO CONFIRM PEOPLE
LIKE YOU WHO HAVE RECEIVED THEIR PAYMENT SUCCESSFULLY.
JOHNNY ALMANTE ==============1Z2X59394198080570
GARY METZGER ==============1Z2X59394195952759
GLEN PAPANIKAS ==============1Z2X59394198690947
CAROL R BUCZYNSKI ==============1Z2X59394197862530
KARIMA EMELIA TAYLOR ==============1Z2X59394198591527
LISA LAIRD ==============1Z2X59394196641913
POLLY SHAYKIN ==============1Z2X59394198817702
MOREOVER, THIS IS ANOTHER PEOPLE THAT RECEIVED THEIR
PAYMENT THROUGH UPS WEBSITE (WWW.DHL.COM).
RICHARD AUTRY ============== 869713119185
GARY METZGER ============== 871363130860
MARK STUBBS ==============871363116168
To effect the release of your fund valued at $3.5Million us
dollars you are advised to contact our correspondent in
Africa the Fbi funds transfer agent Mr.MARK RUBEN with the information below,
You are advised to contact him with the information's as
5.A Copy of Your Identity:......................
10.Preferred Payment Method (ATM / Cashier Check)...............
Upon receipt of payment the delivery officer will ensure
that your package is sent within 24 working hours and your funds
transferred to you with immediate effect, Because
we are so sure of getting a successful transfer of your funds ,giving you
a 100% money
back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within
the next 24hrs after you have made the payment for
the UPS COURIER SERVICE DELIVERY of your package.
And make sure that you keep the receipt of the $280 payment
that you made because that is the prove you will show to the
delivery team when they arrive at your door step with
your package so as to avoid any embarrassment and setback.
Miss Donna Gwen
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW Washington, D.C.
Note: Do disregard any email you get from any impostors or
offices claiming to be in possession of your ATM CARD, you are
hereby advice only to be in contact with your assigned Fbi funds transfer agent Mr.MARK RUBEN. Forward any emails you get from impostors to
this office so we could act upon and commence investigation.