fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr Robert Mueller" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 00:06:27 -0800
Subject: From the FBI
FROM ROBERT S. MUELLER III [Code SSSSFBI]
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION FBI.
WASHINGTON DC./United State Office.
FBI SEEKING TO WIRETAP INTERNET IMPOSTERS.
It is obvious that you have not received your fund which is to the tune of $5.5million due to past corrupt Government
Officials who almost held the fund to themselves for their selfish reason and some individuals who have taken advantage of
your fund all in an attempt to swindle your fund which has led to so many losses from your end and unnecessary delay in the
receipt of your fund.
The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have successfully
passed a mandate to the current president of Nigeria his Excellency Dr. Goodluck E. Jonathan to boost the exercise of
clearing all foreign debts owed to you and other individuals/contractors and organizations who have been found not to have
receive their Contract/Lottery/Merit Fund/Inheritance
and the likes.
Now your payment will be send to you by ATM card that will be coming alongside a custom pin which you will use to withdraw up
to $10,000 per day from any ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo on it. Also with the ATM card you will be able to
transfer your funds to your bank account, because the ATM card will be registered with Inter switch. The ATM card comes with
a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it. Your ATM card would be sent to you via DHL or any other delivery
agents. Because we have signed a contract with DHL or the agents which should expired by December 24th 2013. Below are few
list of tracking numbers you can track from DHL website to confirm people like you who have received their payment
Note: Everything that will impede the process of transfer has been taken care of, to effect the release of your fund valued
at $5.5million you are advised to contact the director of payment and delivery officer Frank Edward with the information
Name: Frank Edward
direct security line:+234-808-883-0461
On contacting him do provide him with the following information? required from you for the shipping of your ATM card parcel:
Your full Name:.....................
A valid copy of your identity is also needed.
Mr. ROBERT S. MUELLER
FBI [Code SSSSFBI]
CC: Federal Bureau of Investigation
CC: National Central Bureau of Interpol
DISCLAIMER NOTICE: Information contained in this email is confidential and intended for the addresses only. Any
dissemination, distribution,copying or use of this communication without prior permission from the address is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please delete