fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "this transaction is real and never a joke" (this phrase is often used in inheritance scams such as next of kin or https://www.419scam.org/419-murdered-businessman.htm">orphan scams. )
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Chris Amata <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Chris Amata <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 12:53:48 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: FROM: CHRIS AND JOY AMATA
FROM: CHRIS AND JOY
I am Chris Amata the only son of late former director of finance,Chief Williams Amata of Sierra-Leone, diamond and mining corporation.I must confess my agitation is real, and my words is my bond, in this proposal.
My late father diverted this fund acquired from the over influencing of price of Les/purchasing of raw materials, now he has deposited the money with a BANK here in ACCRA BY FIXED DEPOSIT FORM,and he attached a strict clause to the fund in bracket(PAY AS RECEIVED), where I am residing under political asylum with my younger sister Joy.
Now the war in my country is over with the help of ECOMOG soldiers, the present government of Sierra Leone has revoked the passport of all officers who served under the former regime and now ask countries to expel such person at the same time freeze their account and confiscate their asset, it is on this note that I am contacting you, all I needed from you is to furnish me with your bank particulars:
1) Account name(2) Account number (3) Bank address, telephone and fax number For you to assist me transfer this money in your private bank account, the said amount is (Seven Million Dollars) $7 Million.
I am compensating you with 15% of the total money amount, now all my hope is banked on you and I really wants to invest this money in your country,where there is stability of Government, political and economic welfare.
Honestly I want you to believe that this transaction is real and never a joke. My late father Chief Williams Amata gave me the photocopies of the certificate of deposit issued to him by the BANK on the date of deposit, and he called me closer to his bed side before his call to glory(R.I.P)that i should pray to God first, before contacting any foreigner and he warned me strictly that I should avoid African men with their greedy and evil mind since this is the only legacy we are inheriting from him.
Please,this is for you to be clarified because, I do not expose myself to anybody I see, I believe that you are able to keep this transaction secret for me because this money is the hope of my life, it is important.
Please reach me immediately after you must have gone through my message fill free and make it urgent, That is the reason why I offered you 15% of the total money amount, and 5% mapped out, in case of any other necessary expenses you might in cure during this transaction including your telephone calls.
Try and negotiate for me some profitable blue chip investment opportunities which is risky free which I can invest with this money when it is transferred to your account and you will be our guardian, personally I am interested in estate management and hotel business, please advise me.reach me back immediately you receive this message for more explanation.
And promise me and Joy my younger sister to be a father considering our situation and not to betray us.
Thanks and God bless
CHRIS AND JOY AMATA.