fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Ghana International Bank London" (may be fake)
Reply-To: <>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 17:35:36 -0000

Attention pls,

Firstly, I must solicit your confidence in this transaction, Although Let me start by introducing myself properly to you. I am Ahmed M Kuruma, the Manager with Ghana International Bank Plc London. I need a reliable and honest person to handle a very confidential transaction, which involves transfer of a huge sum of money to a foreign account.

A foreigner, (LATE ENGR NAZIR ZOHOOR) an oil Merchant /contractor with the Government of Ghana, until his death some years ago in a ghastly air crash, banked with us here a closing balance of USD$10.2M (Ten Million, Two Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) which the bank now expects to be claimed by any of his available Relative without that it will be Considered frozen.

Valuable efforts are being made by the (G.I.B London) to get in touch with any of late Engr's next of kin (he did not make known his wife or children) to the Bank or to me as the manager. Now the board of directors, are making arrangement for the fund to be declared "UNCLIAMABLE” and then be subsequently becomes Bank's money. In order to avert this negative development, that is why, I seek for your permission to have you stand as the next of kin so that the fund, USD$10.2M, would subsequently paid into your bank account as the beneficiary by inheritance.

All documents and proves to enable you get this fund have been carefully worked out and I am assuring you 100% risk free involvement. Your share would be 30% of the total amount $10.2m. While the rest 70% would be for my investment in your country. Kindly get back to me immediately.

Ahmed Mohammed Kuruma,
Ghana International Bank London

Anti-fraud resources: