fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "into your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "i will advice you " (this email uses bad English)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "OFFICE OF THE PAYMASTER GENERAL OF THE FEDERATIONS." (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 13:29:31 -0700
Subject: OFFICE OF THE PAYMASTER GENERAL OF THE FEDERATIONS.
OFFICE OF THE PAYMASTER GENERAL OF THE FEDERATIONS.
OLD FEDERAL SECRETARIAT.
No 115 Awolowo Road Lagos Nigeria.
DIRECT TELEPHONE: 234-8090718221.
Attn: Funds Beneficiary.
This is to inform you that i have being mandated by His Excellency the President of Federal Republic of Nigeria Dr.Good Luck Ebele Jonathan GCFR in my capacity as the Paymaster General of the Federations to instruct our Oil Reserve Account bankers and release your Approved sum of US$5Milion only (Five Million Dollars) into your nominated bank account in or outside your country of origin, and it was also arranged and concluded that your approved funds will be released to you through our Account Holders Bankers there in your Country in other to avoid any cost from you the funds beneficiary and for quick payment to you within 48hours,your funds will be released to you through our correspondence paying bank in your Country hence the below listed banks will effect the payment directly from there branch in your country which i believe they MUST have a branch in your country with my directions by only forwarding your PAYMENT FILE AND BANKING DETAILS to the bank and give them an immediate instructions to credit your
(1)Bank of America )BOA.
(2)Wachovia Bank Limited.
(3)HSBC Banking Corporations
(4)ANZ Banking Corporations.
(5)Standard Chartered Bank.
(6)Chase Manhattan Banks.
(7)St Georges Bank
(8)Royal Bank of Canada.
(9)United Trust Bank Ltd.
(10)Union Bank of Switzerland(UBS)
(11)Deutsche Bank Germany.
(13) May Bank Berhad.
You are urgently requested to forward and furnish me with the below information's to my office as soon as you receive this letter before your Payment File will be dispatch to any of the above correspondence paying bank payment center in your Country for them to effect your payment with immediate effect ONLY on my direct order and instructions as the Paymaster General of the Federations.
1. Your full name and address
2. Your direct telephone number
3. Your receiving bank details if you wish to receive your funds by direct transfer.
Sequel to the above be informed that we have concluded that you the funds beneficiary will have to pay the sum of $290 dollars(Two Hundred and Ninety Dollars) only which will cover the Payment File Processing and Dispatching of payment file fees to our correspondence paying bank payment center in your Country to enable them release your funds with immediate effect based on my direct order and instructions as the Paymaster General of the Federations,as soon as i hear from you i will advice you further and as well instruct you on how to send the US$290 Payment File Processing and Dispatchment fees before our paying bank will credit your account in your favour,your details will be forwarded to the bank and they will effect the transfer of your funds directly into your nominated bank account based on my instructions only,as well if you wish to be paid via ATM Master Card which is also acceptable i will instruct them to that effect too.
I will be expecting to hear from you and please give me call on the above telephone number for more instructions and directives upon the receipt of the above fees and your information's the bank will credit your account within 48hours upon the receipt of your payment file.
The Private Code for this Message is:4519 for you only.
Dr,Johnson Teriba Briggs,CFR.
Paymaster General of the Federations.