fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +448719159760 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Dr.Ben Wilson <microsoft.com19@Microsoftcom981.onmicrosoft.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 09:24:40 +0530
This is to inform you that your fund which you have been
Processing for some period of years Valved Of $5.1 Million
Dollars is now coming through Diamond Expres Courier Diplomatic
means to your door steps in cash.From from the federal
Government of Royal Kingdom.
We advised you to forward your delivery information to Diamond
World Express Courier Service at
(DIAMOND WORLD EXPRESS COURIER SERVICES COOPERATE)
Office Address: 18 Scotland Green,
N17 9TS, United Kingdom
Here is the information needed to deliver your consignment box
to your door steps.
Your Full Name: _________________
Your Complete Address : ______________________________
Country /City of Residence:____________________
Direct Home Telephone /Mobile Number:_______________________
copy of your id for identifications if any; _________
As soon as the Diamond Express World Courier service receive
this information required from you the Consignment briefcase
worth of $5.1 Million Dollars will be delivered to you
immediately and the date of their official arriving in your
Country will be given to you also.
The reason we choose Diamond Express world courier diplomatic
means is that we were unalbe to make a bank to bank transfer to
your account.We therefore advise you to make sure that you are
always respond to the Diamond every e-mail they send to you as
to enable you have successful delivery.Thanks.
Yours In Service
Diamond Courier Awaits Your Reply.